July is National Ice Cream Month! Making homemade ice cream in a zipper bag is a popular activity for young children to participate in.
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup milk (you can also use whipping cream or half and half)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 Tablespoons salt (preferably kosher salt or rock salt)
- 1 gallon-sized zipper bag
- 1 pint-sized or quart-sized zipper bag
- Fill pint or quart-sized bag with milk, vanilla and sugar. Seal well.
- Fill gallon-sized bag with ice, then add the salt.
- Put the smaller bag into the larger bag and seal well.
- START SHAKING the bag!
- After 5-10 minutes, the ice cream will become thick and ready to eat.
- Since bag will be cold, have children wear gloves. Or have them toss it back and forth to each other.
- When you remove the smaller bag, wipe it down carefully to get rid of all the salt on the outside.
- Instead of vanilla, substitute chocolate syrup or another flavor of your choice.
Amazon Picks and Resources: